Sunday 22 July 2012

TheBalm Shady Lady Palette Volume 1 - Review and Swatches

This is the last post on TheBalm's Shady Lady Palettes. Volume 1 was the last palette that I swatched, mainly because online reviews has said that this was the best of the three palettes. I have to disagree. After swatching individual shades, a couple of the shades left me feeling a little disappointed.



Swatches are provided below. Now, don't get me wrong, most of the shadows are exceptional. Soft, smooth, buttery, and true-to-pan pigmentation. However, the top left shade (Caught In The Act Courtney) was just sheer, harder in texture and refused to build up in colour even after three to four swipes. You can even tell the difference straight away between the colour in the palette, and the swatch on my hand.

Indoor, Artificial Lighting

Outdoor, Natural Light

Indoor close-ups of top two rows

Indoor close-up of bottom row
My favourite shades in this palette are Jet Setting Jennifer, All About Alex and Easy Wheezie (all bottom row), and Shameless Shana (top row, middle shade). 

The colour selection in this palette is more muted, more work friendly with a good variation of liner shades. I do love the emerald green as a liner especially. I'm surprised to say that this palette would be my second favourite after Vol. 2. I had really high expectations for Volume 2 (I have high expectations when it comes to TheBalm eyeshadows fullstop) but I was slightly let down by the one dud in the palette. Additionally, Curvy Cami (second row, third from left) is not an appealing colour on the eyes at all. I don't know. When I swatched it, I thought, fugly. Oh, well. Such is life.

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I'm always happy to help with your queries so don't hesitate to drop me a note <3